When it comes to applying for a job, a well-written application letter can make a big difference in whether or not you get hired. But how do you write a standout application letter that sets you apart from the competition? Here are some tips and examples to guide you in writing a different application letter:
- Research the company: Before writing your application letter, take some time to research the company and the position you’re applying for. This will help you tailor your letter to the specific needs and values of the company.
- Address the letter to the right person: Whenever possible, address your application letter to the specific person responsible for hiring for the position. This shows that you’ve done your research and are serious about the job.
- Start with a strong introduction: Your introduction should grab the reader’s attention and make them want to keep reading. Consider starting with a compelling anecdote, a bold statement, or a question that piques the reader’s curiosity.
- Highlight your qualifications: In the body of your letter, highlight your relevant qualifications and experience that make you a good fit for the position. Use specific examples to illustrate your skills and accomplishments.
- Explain why you’re different: What sets you apart from other candidates? This is your chance to showcase your unique skills, experience, and personality that make you the best candidate for the job. Be specific and use examples to illustrate your points.
- Close with a strong call to action: Your closing should reiterate your interest in the position and include a strong call to action, such as asking for an interview or offering to provide additional information.
Example 1: A creative application letter for a graphic designer position
Dear [Hiring Manager],
I was thrilled to see the opening for the Graphic Designer position at [Company Name]. As a creative individual with a passion for design, I am excited about the opportunity to apply my skills and experience to this role.
With over 5 years of experience in graphic design and a Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, I have developed a strong portfolio of work that showcases my creativity and attention to detail. I am skilled in a variety of design software and have experience working on a range of projects, from branding and advertising to web design and social media.
What sets me apart as a designer is my ability to balance creativity with practicality. I understand the importance of creating designs that not only look great but also meet the needs of the client and the target audience. I am confident that my unique perspective and approach to design would make a valuable contribution to the team at [Company Name].
Thank you for considering my application. I look forward to the opportunity to discuss my qualifications further.
Best regards, [Your Name]
Example 2: A persuasive application letter for a sales position
Dear [Hiring Manager],
I am writing to apply for the Sales Representative position at [Company Name]. As a highly motivated individual with a passion for sales, I am confident that I have the skills and experience needed to excel in this role.
With over 7 years of experience in sales and a proven track record of exceeding sales targets, I am confident that I can make a significant contribution to your team. I have experience in a variety of sales environments, from retail to B2B, and have developed strong relationships with clients through my exceptional communication and negotiation skills.
What sets me apart as a salesperson is my ability to listen to the needs of the customer and provide personalized solutions that meet their specific needs. I am a persuasive communicator with a talent for building trust and rapport with clients.
I am excited about the opportunity to bring my skills and experience to the team at [Company Name] and contribute to the continued growth and success of the company. Thank you for considering my application.